Ved International Discussion Board

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)

5 posters

Go down

Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)  Empty Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)

Post by HipHopper Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:27 am

Director, Writer, Star :: Benjamin Christensen
Stars: Benjamin Christensen, Elisabeth Christensen and Maren Pedersen

It should be stated that Häxan is a documentary to roughly the degree that Citizen Kane is a biopic of William Randolph Hearst. Ostensibly an exposé of religious persecution born from ignorance of science, Häxan can be easily classified as a masterpiece of silent horror — or, when filtered through the bong water of the psychedelic '60s to become Witchcraft Through the Ages, as a trippy exercise in surreal pop filmmaking extravagance. Christensen's classic silent film (pronounced 'Heck-sen') was indeed controversial back in its initial release and many might still find it controversial today because of its indictment of elders of the goodly church. A church that in this case was definitely in the wrong. Many accusers were common people who wanted to be rid of enemies or were fearful of others or just plain loony, but the church helped foster an environment of superstition and an overwhelming paranoia that evil incarnate and its sworn agents were waiting around every corner..
HipHopper
HipHopper

http://khabarful.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)  Empty Re: Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)

Post by ram111 Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:01 am

Watching the original version, I found it full of great imagery and fine silent acting. Emotions and actions are superbly conveyed by the actors, and the sets, costumes, lighting, and effects are all wonderfully done. I especially like the interrogation chamber and the Sabbath scenes, which display lots of good props and much deviltry with rather convincing special effects and make-up.

ram111
Eligible
Eligible

Back to top Go down

Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)  Empty Re: Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)

Post by Aveeyasha Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 am

New movie for me. Never heard about this movie before. Hope it's a good and entertaining movie to watch. Thank you for sharing and introducing this movie here in this forum.

Aveeyasha
Eligible
Eligible

Back to top Go down

Post by siyaram01 Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 am

This movie, in my opinion, is one of my favorite depictions of witchcraft and its history, mythology, horror, and customs. The movie is directed beautifully and hauntingly at the same time. Some of the images will stick with you forever. Benjamin Christensen's portrayal as the devil is frighting, yet somewhat humorous. This film definitely deserves a place in the top 100 greatest movies of all time. Enjoy!
siyaram01
siyaram01
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by sujin007 Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Well I have never heard of this film before. I have heard this film for the really first time. Its so new to me. Well thank you so much for sharing that thread with us in this forum.
sujin007
sujin007
Eligible
Eligible

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum